Saturday, January 26, 2008

Burns night came and went without much ado, my original plan was spend it in a bothy in Glencoe with the local hillwalking group but the walk fell through and this year I couldn't even stomach haggis so it was spagetti bolognese!
I've never been much of a Robert Burns fan (bad memories of performing To a Louse as a child) but as I get older I'm beginning to appreciate him more. And also I have a local connection as my hometown is the birthplace of one of his loves known as highland Mary who's statue dominates the skyline as she stares down the Clyde looking out for him. So here's one of his best known poems

A Red, Red Rose

O my luve is like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
O my luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly played in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonny lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only love,
And fare thee weel, awhile!
And I will come again, my love
Though it were ten thousand mile.

and sung beautifully by Eddi Reader -

1 comment:

swiss said...

i can't watch eddi reader as she looks freakishly like my sister! but i do like that song and album.

i was the same and didn't bother about burns when i was younger but i've become a bit of a burnsophile these days, not burnscultish, just like the work. and i like the whole burns night shenanigans