Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My favorite Christmas carol / poem is Christina Rossetti's Love Came Down At Christmas. I did try to add a youtube version of it but it ain't happenin so here's the link - sung by the Christian rock band Jars of Clay, I wonder what Rossetti would have thought of it!!

Love Came Down At Christmas
by Christina Rossetti

Love came down at Christmas,
Love all lovely, love divine;
Love was born at Christmas,
Star and angels gave the sign.
Worship we the Godhead,
Love incarnate, love divine;
Worship we our Jesus:
But wherewith for sacred sign?
Love shall be our token,
Love shall be yours and love be mine,
Love to God and to all men,
Love for plea and gift and sign.


It actually makes me well up when I sing it or hear it sung.

Merry Christmas everyone

X

10 comments:

Dave King said...

I wouldn't want to challenge that. Lovely!

Roxana said...

Merry Christmas, Sorlil!

deemikay said...

Following on from previous posts of mine... maybe I'd have to go for Lonely this Christmas by Mud? Erm... maybe not!

An Honest Man said...

As I said to Mrs Blethers, my favourite

Sorlil said...

Thanks guys, hope you all have a great one.

shug said...

Merry Xmas and a fecund new year. Lots of love HughX

Sorlil said...

thanks hugh, and exactly the same back to yourself!

swiss said...

all the best. enjoy!

Sorlil said...

thanks swiss, I did, and now I'm glad it's all over, lol!

Anonymous said...

But wherewith for sacred sign?
What does this line of "Love Came Down.." mean to you?
Thank you for your response.