Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Has my fate changed so much,
or is the game really over?
Where are the winters when I went to bed
at six in the morning?

Once more, peaceful and severe,
I am living on the wild shore.
I am no longer able to utter
either an idle or a tender word.

I can't believe that Christmas will soon be here.
The steppe is touchingly green.
The sun is radiant. A wave that looks warm
laps the smooth shore.

When I became weary and langurous
from happiness, I used to dream
with inexspressible tremblings of such repose,
and this is how I imagined
the posthumous wanderings of the soul.

Anna Akhmatova, December 1916

Love came down at Christmas
Love all lovely, love divine;
Love was born at Christmas,
Star and angels gave the sign.

Christina Rossetti, 1885

Wishing you all a special Love-filled Christmas.

12 comments:

sunnydunny said...

Have a great Christmas sorlil, and best wishes for next year.

Jim Murdoch said...

And the same right back at ya - with jingle bells on it.

An Honest Man said...

@Jim With Rudolf to pull the sleigh as well?

Sorlil, have the sort of Christmas and New Year that you would wish for your best friend.

Titus said...

Oh, thank you Sorlil, beautiful choices.

Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year to you and all your family, from me and mine.

Dominic Rivron said...

And the same to you.

I glanced a t the bottom of your post and saw Rossetti, then started reading from the top. "Wow, that's way out for Rossetti!" I thought. Then I realised.

Rachel Fox said...

Yes...love, love, love all the way.
x

Sorlil said...

you too colin, have a great one!

thanks jim, are you dyeing your beard white for Christmas?! :)

honest man, that's a really lovely wish, thankyou.

glad you like them titus, you're house will be as chaos as mine I imagine!

rachel, to you, little girl and your man also :)

lol, trying to imagine Rossetti writing the first one! have a great Christmas dominic.

James Owens said...

Wonderful selections. Thank you. And Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Sorlil said...

thankyou james, can't go wrong with a bit of Akhmatova and Rossetti! :)

swiss said...

now i started that thinking, now here's a change of style. and then i realised why!

have a good one!

Roxana said...

Lovely lovely!

Merry Christmas, dear Sorlil!

(swiss, you cracked me up, as always :-))

Sorlil said...

now that would be a change of style for me!!

thanks roxana, hope you christmas was a great one.