Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Have you ever started writing a poem for it to turn into an exercise in mental torture? This is what I've been doing today.
I came across a poetry competition last night, deadline is midnight tomorrow but I thought I'd give it a bash. It's in memory of the Glasgow artist and sculpture Hannah Frank. When I checked out the link I really liked her black and white drawings. So the competition is to write a poem inspired by one of Hannah Frank's drawings. I picked this wonderful drawing:

It's called Moon Ballet.
I've written a good chunk of the poem but just can't seem to bring it together and it's now hurting my head. But there's still tomorrow...

8 comments:

An Honest Man said...

Think of other mundane things for a bit to the exclusion of all else - and good luck.

Jim Murdoch said...

Unfortunately poetry is an art and not a science. If it was only as simple as arranging the right words in the right order. It is a process however and not one that can be rushed. You may not make the deadline for the competition but you may still end up with a decent poem. The thing is to let the poem grow an not try and construct it. There's an artificiality to constructions; true they have their own beauty but you can't beat something that takes its own good time and arrives when it's ready. You're a mum, you know what I'm on about.

Sorlil said...

thanks honest man, that's exactly what I did and I'm more or less finished with it!

hi jim, I know what you mean. I don't think I've done too bad a job, the ending isn't as constructed as I feared it might end up!

Michelle said...

It's a beautiful drawing, Sorlil. Love the title too. Sending you creative vibes.

Sorlil said...

yes, it's lovely, isn't it? thanks for the vibes :)

Roxana said...

i absolutely love this drawing, and can't wait to see how it inspired you :-)

James Owens said...

Did you finish in time for the deadline?

Sorlil said...

I thought you would like it, roxana :) I'll email you the poem - can't blog it b/c I've entered it into the comp.

I did, james. but with the benefit of a couple of days away from it the ending doesn't seem quite right, ahh well!!