Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Life has been busy over the last month. I've started a new job working in a homelessness unit in Glasgow so I've not being doing much in the way of writing whilst adjusting to my new routine. However I have been given pretty much free rein to do creative writing in the unit with any of the guys who are interested.
A few years ago I did creative writing on a weekly basis with some guys who were going through drug rehab. It was such a pleasure to be able to give them the space and encouragement to write about their experiences and surprise themselves with the stories and poems they produced.

Likewise, at the unit, it's an honour to share in the stories of those who feel able to take part and create a space for them to express themselves in writing. I give the guys a few options of what to write about. One exercise I particularly enjoyed was using Mirolav Holub's poem 'The Door' to imagine a door, write about that door and who / what might be on the other side of it. It produced some really thoughtful and interesting work. At the end of each writing session I type up the work produced and pin it to the pin board so that all the residents at the unit can have a read.

It's also been fun exploring parts of Glasgow, south of the River Clyde, that I've never really spent much time in before. I've been reading up on some of the rich history of the area and I've a feeling there will be at least a few Glasgow poems to come!

4 comments:

Gary Hall said...

That’s wonderful and important work, Marion. Thanks for doing it.

Marion McCready said...

Thanks Gary! :)

Danish dog said...

This sounds great. I immediately thought of Alicia Stallings, who does all sorts of creative stuff with refugees in Athens.

Marion McCready said...

Didn't know that, Duncan!