Friday, June 16, 2023



Unexpected delays has meant the publication of Look to the Crocus has yet to materialise and, quite honestly, I've no idea when it will... Putting together the collection now feels like a project from the distant past.


However, my writing is moving on. I've moved into dabbling with writing creative non-fiction essays over the last few months and I'm thoroughly enjoying the space to write in essay form yet with the feeling of the work coming together in a way not too differently from when a poem comes together. And I may be finding my way into writing poems in a different way from before too, it's too early to say if the poems are working out but I'm enjoying the process. 


I suppose I had become quite bored with my usual approach to writing, it was becoming 'samey' / repetitious, no sense of tapping into anything new. 


Anyway, here are a couple of poems published since my last update - 'The Branches of my Heart are Steel Wire' in The Manhattan Review, and 'Salt and Peat on my Tongue' in Atrium Poetry which can be read here.

3 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Finding fresh perspectives can be something of a challenge - and changing style is definitely one I have used to some effect in the past. I look forward to hearing if you think it has helped!

I loved Salt and Peat... (saw it via IG), but I cannot seem to find a way to read Branches... I guess they want folk to buy the magazine, but I fear that is not practical for me.

Hope you are enjoying the Tropicana Dunoon has become! YAM xx

Jim Murdoch said...

Over the last fifty-odd years I’ve had a crack at most forms on writing but to this day I struggle to think of myself as anything other than a poet who dabbles which is a bit ridiculous when you think how many novelists are famous for writing fewer books than me but as long as I keep churning out poems I’m happy, I’m doing what I’m meant to do. I’ve always believed content dictates form and the simple fact is poetry has its limits and its audience. If essays are what your body is pushing you to write go with the flow I say. I have to say, if I’d expected you to move in any particular direction it would be towards prose poetry, specifically a novella like By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept; maybe By Glasgow Central I Sat Down and Wept, specifically after you experiencing in counselling. To be honest I’ve never found any of my dabblings have changed how I approach poetry; poetry, for me, just happens which is why, as I was moaning about on Facebook a few days ago I had nothing to say when Bowie passed and yet had a poem for Martin Amis (an author I know little about and feel even less for) appeared, fully-formed, in seconds.

As for your next collection, luckily most poetry doesn’t go off. I’ve always felt sorry for actors who’re called on to enthuse about a project they were involved in years before and have well and truly moved on from. Enjoyed ‘Salt and Peat on My Tongue’. It has a nice flow. Reminds me of RS Thomas for some reason. Oh, and the paintings of Andrea Kowch. My latest project is almost complete. Nothing to do with writing though. We call it ‘The Great Wall’ and it’s the huge expanse that leads from my office on third floor to our bedroom which we have covered in artworks although, try as I might, I couldn’t find a home for anything by Ms Kowch or, indeed, so many others I fell in love with on the way.

Marion McCready said...

Thanks Yamini Xx

I hadn't come across Kowch before, Jim, thanks for the pointer, what beautiful paintings. I've since had contact with the typesetter so I know my book is in progress somewhat...! I love the idea of your Great Wall, would love to see pics of it?! I'm definitely feeling the need for something more expansive writing-wise, probably why I was always drawn to writing sequences. I'm dabbling with ideas but feeling I probably need to build more disciplined writing into my life.