Saturday, August 11, 2012

I'd like to highlight another couple of poetry blogs I've being enjoying following for a while now.

The first is HG Poetics blog by Henry Gould.
Gould has a particular interest in / affinity with a group of early twentieth century Russian poets called the Acmeists (Gumilev, Akhmatova, Mandelstam). He regularly posts sections from his exceptionally long poem Lanthanum and also occasionally posts video recordings of his guitar playing, which I absolutely love. Gould writes occasional essays on his, and Acmeist, poetics which are extremely interesting. You can watch a video of Gould reading a selection of his poems at a recent poetry reading posted on his blog.

Also worth a visit is Clarissa Aykroyd's blog The Stone and the Star. Clarissa writes regularly on poetry and, at times, poetry in relation to film, art, travel and anything else that takes her interest. I think we must have similar poetic tastes as she seems to mostly write about poets I extremely like. She even got to attend a celebration of Transtromer's work with not only Transtromer actually physically present but none other than Wallander star, Krister Henriksson reading the poems in Swedish. I'm still confounded by jealousy over this!!

5 comments:

Jim Murdoch said...

I had a look at both sites and then made a start on their blog rolls (interesting poets tend to read interesting sites) and found this one which considering your current interest in translation you might like to have a wee look at: Poetry Translation Centre.

Marion McCready said...

thanks Jim, I'll check that out!

Clarissa Aykroyd said...

Thank you for the mention! I've certainly been enjoying yours too. I sometimes feel a little overwhelmed by all the good poetry AND writing on poetry there seems to be out there - never enough time!

Marion McCready said...

No worries, it's a pleasure to read your blog :) I agree about all the good poetry out there, it's hard to keep up with it all!

Henry Gould said...

Thanks so much, Marion! You made my day today.