Wednesday, November 06, 2019

I've had a busy time of it over the last couple of months with work and starting my counselling training, so unfortunately poetry hasn't featured much in my life. However I'm seeing a slowing down of the busyness in sight and my poetry senses are clawing to get reading and writing.

I have, however, been writing occasional poem notes / imagery to go back to when I have the mental space to write. I especially gathered material when I was on a recent family holiday to Skye and the Western Isles and hope to create something meaningful out of it.

Poems that have caught my eye over the last while have been a series by Victoria Chang of 'Obit' poems. They are a fascinating and imaginative range of poem-obituaries that Chang wrote after the death of her mother. The full collection of them is due to be published early next year by Copper Canyon Press. A book I'm very much looking forward to reading.

2 comments:

Jim Murdoch said...

Those poem notes could come in handy. Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been working on half-finished poems and scraps going back over twelve years as best I can work out the dates. Why I couldn’t do anything with them at the time I’ve no idea but that’s the way it goes. I wonder how many poems I have I’ll never finish. A hundred easily, probably two. Much of it’s to do with fussiness. I have loads of poems I would’ve been delighted to have written in my twenties but now I know I can do better when my brain’ll let me.

Marion McCready said...

I hope so Jim, I'm not sure whether they'll work out as simply individual poems or use them to explore a bigger theme or fit them into a ballad poem!