Sunday, June 06, 2010

That's my poem and a short bio up at the Poetry At The... blog for the poetry reading next week, can't quite believe we're into June already!
I'm really looking forward to hearing Phillis Levin, I very much like what I've read of her work on-line and she's a wonderful reader of her poems (you can hear her read some of her poems here). Also reading will be David Kinloch who lectures in Creative Writing at Strathclyde uni, and Jon Stone and Kirsten Irving who are both editors of Fuselit magazine. So feeling a little nervous about reading in such good company!
I've read quite a few tips on-line on preparing for readings but I'd like to know your number one tip that you always keep in mind when doing a reading or what especially bugs you about poetry readings.

It'll also be nice just getting to Edinburgh for a change. Might get a chance to pop into the Scottish Poetry Library or a wander around the National Galleries. There's no chance of getting home because of the ferries which means a whole night in Edinburgh, child-free!!

10 comments:

Forthvalley scribe said...

sounds like a good night! Have fun.

Rachel Fox said...

My top tip...making sure you read loudly enough and clearly enough and slowly enough for listeners to hear all the words and not just every tenth one! If every word matters so much in poetry (and I think it does...right across the spectrum) then why some people want to bury their words in mumble or speed is one of life's great mysteries (though often, of course, the mystery is nerve-related...).

But you don't need to be nervous because you'll be great. We in the blogosphere have every confidence in you!
x

Marion McCready said...

thanks elizabeth, I certainly will! :)

hi rachel, thanks for that, I've a tendency to start slow then, thinking I'm boring everyone senseless, speed up near the end!

Titus said...

Wow, that's cooler than a slice of cucumber in a tall Pimms inside the Stewards Enclosure at Henley!
If I can get sufficient things in place, there's an outside possiblity I can make this. I'll carry The Times and wear a red carnation, or something.

Titus said...

Oh yeah, slow down and remember to look up.

Marion McCready said...

lol, thanks :) would be amazing if you could make it, I'll be relying on friendly faces in the audience!!

James Owens said...

I wish like hell I could be there! My only advice echoes what you're already gotten. I can't tell you how many readings I've sat through, wanting to yell out, "Slow down and speak up, why don't you?" But you've written before that you practice out loud, and that cuts down on the nerves, I think.

You will be wonderful!

Marion McCready said...

I wish you could as well! :) thanks for that. I'll do my best not to speed up, that seems to be the main thing. I'll keep telling myself that I'll be great and see if that works, lol!

swiss said...

what rachel and titus said.

sadly i'm working sunday so unlikely to make it. it is a dayshift tho so if i can blag it i shall.

in the more likely event i shall be channeling positivoty your way come the time

Marion McCready said...

cheers, swiss! I'll take all the positivity I can get :)